Creating a new Law Centre to provide vital legal advice, casework and representation for the people of Suffolk.
Why do we need a Law Centre in Suffolk?
Suffolk is a legal advice desert. There are no legal aid providers in public law, housing and asylum law currently in the county. Even before the cuts to legal aid caused by Legal Aid Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Act 2012 (LASPO), there were few civil legal aid providers. This means even when people on low incomes are sufficiently aware of their rights to seek help, they have to travel out of the county to find that help.
Our new Law Centre will:
- Improve the access to specialist casework and representation in social welfare law (notably in the areas of public, housing and asylum) in Suffolk.
- Improve the level of knowledge about rights, and/or the confidence to enforce them, amongst Suffolk residents.
- Work with local businesses and public bodies to improve the commitment in public institutions in Suffolk to recognise people’s rights and to be held to account.
- We will be a champion for the people of Suffolk and their legal rights.
Empowering the people of Suffolk to understand and assert their legal rights.
We provide legal services to help the diverse communities of Suffolk to gain equal access to justice, to challenge disadvantage and inequality, and to understand their legal rights, obligations and protections.
If you would like to help us create a new Law Centre for the people of Suffolk, please email us at:
- join as a Friend of Suffolk Law Centre
- become a Patron of Suffolk Law Centre
- join our fundraising team
- join our community and user group
- join our social media team
- join our Social Committee for events
- join our campaigning and policy team
- join our hackathon project team
If you want to join us to improve access to justice in Suffolk, please email us with your name, contact details, and your areas of interest and experience.
- Check out our YouTube video to find out more about our campaign: https://youtu.be/8k_ST55Ik78
- Follow us on Twitter @SuffolkLawCen
- Like our page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SuffolkLawCentreSteering/